Crikey, You Travel Light…. The above comment from Mark Mullen, sales manager at Specialist Cars Malton when we were on a photo shoot just last month wasn’t the first time I’ve heard that. For sure, I can be a gear Magpie with the best of them and indeed, I have many Magic Arms, Super Clamps, [...]
Archive | Gear RSS feed for this section
Regular readers will know that we’re big Capture One fans, using it as our weapon of choice for creating clean files with good details. However, many people still regard Capture One as simply a RAW file converter and not a stand alone image processing application in it’s own right. I know many Capture One users [...]
I glanced in the mirror as I left home the other day and remarked to myself, “You really need to get a new jacket for work, Dude”. Location photographer’s clothing that works well is hard to find and everyone will have their own preference. I’ve had a combination of two jackets that I’ve used for [...]
I’m a huge fan of Capture One software for processing RAW files. For sure, Aperture and Lightroom may have more ‘bling’ and Capture One doesn’t have image archiving without buying the additional Media Pro, but I love the files it produces, having used it since 2003 when I moved to digital with Canon DSLR’s. This [...]
I’ve absolutely no experience at all of shooting 3D. In common with many people out there, it’s a new technology that doesn’t apply to me. Yet. But looking at the latest press release from Canon, it seems that it won’t be long before I’m thinking about it a whole lot more. New firmware released for [...]
First off, a disclaimer. This isn’t an exhaustive, technical test full of charts and huge 400% blowups. Other far more qualified organisations such as the BBC have already done all that, so if it works for them, it’ll do for me. If you want to get really in deep with the XF305, then download the [...]
I‘ve been a Capture One user ever since I moved to a full digital workflow back in 2003. I always liked it’s workflow, it’s ability to process images in the background while not appearing to slow down my Mac at all and ease with which I was able to get the ‘look’ that I wanted [...]
Last time I grabbed a Canon EOS 1D4, it was in a winter period when there was little happening on the car photography front, so the test I did back then concentrated on it’s low light capabilities. But I was still interested to see what it brought along to a car photo shoot, where outright [...]
There’s something about a brand new 1D series Canon when you first pick it up. My 1DS is still in great shape, but these days it’s got shiny edges, scruffs on the hotshoe and marks on the baseplate from endless tripods and rig shots and after a while, you take it for granted, just like [...]
Last weekend, I was shooting a personal car for someone and it seemed like the perfect chance to test out the Elinchrom Ranger lights the guys at The Flash Centre are so proud of. I have to say that the more I use this kit, the more I love it.
Here’s a quickie I hope will be useful. Have you ever wished that you could download a streamed video from YouTube, Vimeo etc to watch offline later? My older Powerbook sometimes stutters like crazy for reasons I can’t figure when streaming over our WiFi, so here’s a workaround if you’re on a Mac with Safari: [...]
Sign up for Neill Watson's Newsletter
Track Driver Coaching Services
OK, so it's humble pie time. In fact, not just a slice, better just pass me the whole thing over...[...]
Bentley Motors have a fascinating website running right now called Mulsanne Visionaries. It features[...]
I've written before about how aerial photography can show things from the air that cannot be seen fr[...]
Category: Aerial Photography
When I gave my initial thoughts on the Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise, I mentioned that it's compac[...]
- Sir Stirling Moss, The Blonde and The Mystery of The Stolen Image February 10, 2012
- The ‘See In The Dark’ Canon EOS 1D Mk4.. March 15, 2010
- Having Problems With Your Mac OSX .Zip Files Becoming .CPGZ Files? Read On.. October 18, 2011
- Sir Stirling Moss and The Blonde – The Sequel March 26, 2012
- I’m a Steadicam Virgin….. January 28, 2009
- Car Photography eBooks – The Top Ten Tips May 7, 2013
- Porsche 911 Turbos and The British Winter April 15, 2013
- Vincent is Right – You Must See This April 5, 2013
- One Man’s Porsche March 8, 2013
- It’s Humble Pie Time – My Land Rover Discovery Experience March 4, 2013
- Understeer, Oversteer? Or Right Down The Line? - Historic Racer: [...] both enjoyed this, didn’t we?” I’v...
- Understeer, Oversteer? Or Right Down The Line? - The Speedster: [...] both enjoyed this, didn’t we?” I’v...
- Neill: Hi Tim, You're right about magazines not takin...
- Tim Andrew: Well, for starters I'm writing this from my new i...
- Neill Watson: It's some time since I wrote this, so things have...