The Glidetrack had been sitting in my office for a while, frustratingly. Each time I thought a subject was coming up that would work, something happened to scupper it. So when I managed to get hold of the Canon 1DMk4 to test for just a few days, there was a steely determination to shoot something [...]
Archive | Video RSS feed for this section
You’ve got to watch this Behind The Scenes vid of director Richard Patterson shooting using a Canon 1D stills camera firing at 10 frames per second, coupled with a rack load of Profoto light strobes, Red Rock Micro and a cool Steadicam rig. Hoping that there will be more BTS video showing the post production [...]
It’s something I needed to do. I’m moving more and more into shooting video and as I climbed the learning curve, it made my head hurt, but I really needed to do it. There are lots of stills photographers out there moving to video as an extra skill. Right now, there are great new oportinities [...]
Here’s an edit of the final footage. You can see a hi res version on SmugMug here. The learning curve for me as a first time user of Apple Final Cut Studio was a steep one and thanks go to various people for their help and advice in getting me up there. Most notable being [...]
Previously, I described how I prepared the lightest possible collection of gear to use the Canon 5D in Sweden, hoping that we could cover all the bases and get what we needed. My 1DS works fine in temparatures below -30c, so I had no worries about the camera dying, though previously when shooting stills and [...]
Just to bring you up to speed about this project, it started more than six months ago when I first saw video footage from the Canon 5D Mk2. Then I saw more footage shot on it and managed to try one briefly at The Flash Centre in Leeds and was hooked. I knew just the [...]
You’d like to think that more than two weeks set aside for a trip to northern Sweden would be plenty to shoot a short movie about driving at high speeds on frozen lakes, wouldn’t you? Me too. I’ve been to Sweden working plenty of times before and while there may be a few days overcast [...]
I’ve managed to get my hands on a Canon 5D Mk2 for the first time this week, but I’ve been giving an awful lot of thought to it’s video capabilities, including the possibilities with some of the grip and camera support equipment commonly used in motion footage. As Canon are at pains to point out, [...]
Sign up for Neill Watson's Newsletter
Track Driver Coaching Services
- Sir Stirling Moss, The Blonde and The Mystery of The Stolen Image February 10, 2012
- The ‘See In The Dark’ Canon EOS 1D Mk4.. March 15, 2010
- Having Problems With Your Mac OSX .Zip Files Becoming .CPGZ Files? Read On.. October 18, 2011
- Sir Stirling Moss and The Blonde – The Sequel March 26, 2012
- I’m a Steadicam Virgin….. January 28, 2009
- Car Photography eBooks – The Top Ten Tips May 7, 2013
- Porsche 911 Turbos and The British Winter April 15, 2013
- Vincent is Right – You Must See This April 5, 2013
- One Man’s Porsche March 8, 2013
- It’s Humble Pie Time – My Land Rover Discovery Experience March 4, 2013
- Understeer, Oversteer? Or Right Down The Line? - Historic Racer: [...] both enjoyed this, didn’t we?” I’v...
- Understeer, Oversteer? Or Right Down The Line? - The Speedster: [...] both enjoyed this, didn’t we?” I’v...
- Neill: Hi Tim, You're right about magazines not takin...
- Tim Andrew: Well, for starters I'm writing this from my new i...
- Neill Watson: It's some time since I wrote this, so things have...